Saturday, May 29, 2010

Surprise Presents from the Past


I had a "Penny moment" today. My parents recently gave me a few sealed boxes containing childhood books and other belongings of mine from college. I guess they had been stuffed away in the closet in my parents' basement and hadn't seen the light of day until now. I received the boxes and was curious, wondering what they contained. I figured probably just books.

As I began to cut open the packaging tape that held them shut, one of my suspicions was confirmed: there were books. But then, as I opened another box, I caught a glimpse of things I hadn't seen in at least a few years. Although I had already seen these items before, it was like opening a small treasure chest from the past, even if it wasn't so long ago. Out came my pen and pencil holder from college, bought at Target. Next, a perfectly functional silver and black cordless phone in great condition. What's funny is that we had needed a good phone because the hand-me-down one we had been using was rotten, full of static, and impossible to use. I was also elated to come in contact again with my small orange bowl with cherries and cute cats on it, an orange bunny mug, my alma mater champagne glass, and a gorgeous multi-colored ceramic plate/bowl my parents had given me. One of the most unexpected and exciting treasures from the corrugated cardboard treasure chest was a Mexican blanket with colorful squares of pink, red, purple, green, blue, and orange that I had bought at the ruins of Chichen Itza.

I felt as Penny must feel every time she rediscovers her pink octopus in her bed after an extended absence--the joy of a reunion with familiar objects that are treasured and that were thought to have disappeared for good. I suppose absence does increase one's fondness for someone...or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment