Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Foods You Love to Hate


If one eats a food with enough frequency within a certain period of time, will one definitely develop an aversion to said food? I remember once when I was little and my mom brought home two family-sized boxes of Honey Nut Cheerios, I was initially thrilled. After a month of being the only household member ingesting the HN Cheerios, I vowed never to allow that particular food item to enter my mouth ever again. That promise has been faithfully upheld to the present day.

What causes aversions to foods? What causes pickiness? My dad hates cilantro, lima beans, and cucumber. My husband loves just about every food. I start to dislike anything I've eaten too often in a short amount of time, and that's not even including the extensive list of foods I won't even touch with a 10-foot pole (I imagine someone like a king's official with a curly gray mustache and goatee opening a yellowed paper scroll of all the foods I either don't like or would prefer not to eat...as he opens the scroll, it rolls past his knees until it hits the ground and proceeds to roll across the floor...). Sometimes it's the food item itself that causes the disgust. Other times it boils down to the food preparation. I can't tell if all of this is related to genuine biological aversions or just plain fussiness. However, I'm certainly not impossible to please and I will never turn up my nose at something you've taken the time to make.

When I was young and I was hungry and pestering my mom for snack ideas, there were plenty of occasions when she would offer options and I would promptly reject them one by one. She always told me that if I was truly hungry, I would eat at least one of the options. She was probably right about that--a starving person technically would probably wholeheartedly devour anything with the remotest semblance of food. I, however, opted for the less popular route of hunger strikes until dinnertime. If you hold out long enough, something more delicious is always bound to cross your plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment