Saturday, May 22, 2010

Ecuadorians Here, Ecuadorians There, Ecuadorians Everywhere


Today I spent part of the night howling. This was not because there was a full moon, nor because I am a werewolf, nor because all is not well in the noggin. It was because my husband matter-of-factly revealed to me that Lorena Bobbit is Ecuadorian, that he had seen her somewhere in the DC metro area, and then on top of that he began to make the case that Vanilla Ice is half-Ecuadorian as well. Lorena Bobbit was a bit of a shock, I didn't believe that he had seen her around where we live, and Vanilla Ice put me over the edge. Our poor neighbors must have thought that the men in white coats were coming to commit me from all the deranged cackling that must have shot through the paper-thin walls of our apartment complex.

After I was able to compose myself, I did some fact checking. Lorena Bobbit is indeed Ecuadorian, and also happens to live in Virginia. Vanilla Ice does not appear to be Ecuadorian, but his step-father might be. And an additional fun fact is that Christina Aguilera is also half-Ecuadorian.

As if all of this weren't enough, on Wednesday I met my new office mate at the job site where I work sporadically. We got to talking and I asked him if he was from around the DC area. He said yes, but that he was originally born elsewhere. I asked him where. He told me in South America. As if I even needed to ask, I asked anyway: What country in South America? The response: Ecuador. We got a big charge out of our mutual Ecuadorian citizenship, and it was a fitting reminder that for such a small country, you don't have to go very far to encounter its citizens.

No comments:

Post a Comment