Sunday, May 23, 2010

Getting Back on the Horse


One thing I've learned about exercise: the less you do it, the harder it is to find motivation and energy to get back into the routine of exercising. Alternatively, the more you do it, the more you want to continue. Obviously, a large factor in this desire to exercise regularly comes from the release of endorphins during moderate to vigorous physical activity. Part of what also makes exercise somewhat "addictive" is the way it makes you feel about yourself. The combination of endorphins, a fit body, a more focused and relaxed mind, alleviated stress, and good health is enough to keep anyone coming back for more.

The hardest part of reaching this exercise euphoria, however, is getting started when there's been a dearth of activity in your daily routine. Speaking from experience, when there has been a lull in my usual patterns of exercise, it takes weeks or sometimes months to get back on the horse, so to speak, and will myself to exercise regularly again. Part of the dread that causes me to drag my feet at times stems from the knowledge of how difficult the first string of workouts will be. Then there's not wanting to see certain pudgy areas bend, fold, and jiggle as they do when you're just starting out again after a lengthy hiatus from regular physical activity. On the other hand, what's amazing about the body is its ability to transform itself. At certain ages and stages in one's life transformations may take more time and energy than at other times, but the fact remains that the human body is capable of major change with some discipline and will power to get it there. Not only that, but I find that my mind is at its sharpest and happiest when I adhere to a consistent (but always enjoyable) exercise regimen.

One of the tricks to a successful workout routine is discovering what type of exercise you enjoy rather than forcing yourself to do an activity you find unpleasant, even if it is for the sake of fitness. If I were confined to only running to stay fit, I'd probably renounce exercise for good, not only because of the shin splints I get but because running is just not for me. Now, give me a good yoga, pilates, dance or aerobics routine, or even an invigorating walk or bike ride, and I'll jump, pose, and pedal the day away. What a lot of trainers say is absolutely true: if your workout isn't fun, you won't do it. So the question you must ask yourself is, what type of exercise makes me feel happy to be alive?

No comments:

Post a Comment