Monday, May 17, 2010

Hello Veggie Burgers


So it's that time of year again--the time of year when one becomes a vegetarian. Frankly, it's not really a time of year. It's more of a process. In previous posts I've touched on tastes in and aversions to food. It seems more clear than ever that at any given time in a person's life, foods were previously loved or hated can produce quite the opposite effect on a person without warning. Lately, I've been slowly but surely developing an aversion to meat again (I saw again because I was briefly a vegetarian for a year before going to Ecuador and surrendering after my will to only eat eggs and cheese could no longer go on).

Perhaps this latest aversion has been brought on by a more specific understanding of the meat industry which subsequently leads to discomfort. However, I knew about those practices when I tried out vegetarianism the first time. There's definitely a physical component of losing the taste for meat, just not enjoying it as I once did. A large part of this loss of enthusiasm for meat is probably also brought on by the newfound availability of tasty and affordable vegetarian options, a la Trader Joes. All I need to do is steal some more recipes from my mom's cookbooks and I'll be on my merry vegetarian way. Stay tuned for how that works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment