Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Bassa nova, Baby


A conclusion I came to after going to 18th Street Lounge with my husband, my best friend and her boyfriend: Brazilian music is fabulous. (We went on Thursday, when the bar happens to feature live music by a Brazilian band.) Unlike my two cousins who have traveled to or will be traveling soon to Brazil, I have no particular connection with the country. Sure, I'd like to visit, especially since my husband is dying to go see the World Cup in 2014 there. But it's not at the tip top of my list either (Japan, China, Egypt, Armenia, Italy and so on are way ahead on that particular list). That being said, there's something so enjoyable about Brazilian music, be it bassa nova, samba, or whatever else they play. It's easy on the ears, the current mood, and the soul. I always feel transported to a better, happier place listening to Brazilian music. Maybe it's because my parents played so much Stan Getz when I was little so it feels very familiar. Or maybe it's because the music imparts the "joie de vivre" that people who have visited the country say Brazilians themselves embody. Either way, I may not be rooting for them in the World Cup, but I wish them all the best in the music industry for a long time to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment