Sunday, July 11, 2010

World Cup Champion: Spain


Even though I'm not the biggest sports fan in the world, it would be kind of wrong not to dedicate this post to the new World Cup Champion, Spain (my husband would never let me hear the end of it if I didn't). It was a tough game, both in the sense of the level of aggression present on the field (there were 14 yellow cards, if that tells you anything), and also in terms of how enjoyable the play was. There was a lot of pushing, pulling, fouling and so on, which can detract from the game itself and cause a great deal of interruptions to the flow of the game. That being said, it was more than obvious that both teams were giving it their all, and the refereeing was surprisingly good compared to the other ref-related debacles that took place throughout the World Cup. I guess you have to leave it to those that invented the game to call a fair match (i.e. the British). The goal that won the game was a "golazo" as we like to say--in other words, an awesome goal, and at the end of the day, a team that had never won before got to take home the trophy, so what's not to like about that? Congratulations, Spain, you earned it! (I must admit that the best part of sports is the celebratory partying--why can't I be in Spain right now??)

No comments:

Post a Comment