Monday, July 19, 2010

The Gift of Gab


Today I was prepared to be an irate customer. I was woken up at 7 AM by the sound of our power going out...again. This happened one week ago, and has occurred pretty much like clockwork at least once a month, sometimes more. As I groggily dialed our provider's phone number and was waiting on hold, I thought back to the rather unfriendly customer service rep I had spoken to a week earlier who had instructed me to call back during regular hours and speak to a supervisor for more information on our frequent blackout situation. Boy, was I ready for a spat.

Imagine my surprise (and delight) when a cheery voice greeted me on the other end of the line. I grouchily asked right away to speak to a supervisor, as I had been directed to do. I was told in an even friendlier tone than before that Ms. Cheery Voice would be more than happy to handle my issue herself. Even after a few moments, I could tell that this person was in no way like the Crabby Appleton I had spoken to on the phone the previous weekend. Within minutes I was like putty in her hands. Not only did she register our complaint and forward it for further investigation (with a confirmation number and all), she turned what could have been a dreary start to the day into a pleasant beginning. We even discussed our weekends to fill the silence as she was filling in the form.

I like having these experiences because they remind me that there are clearly still people out there who appreciate good customer service and know exactly how to deliver it.

No comments:

Post a Comment