Sunday, July 11, 2010

Odd


This may be a bit gross but I will proceed anyway: Today I examined a piece of my own skin that was peeling on my foot. After I removed it, I noticed just how intricate and strange it was. It was tough and had a funny texture, like thin plastic. It was slightly transparent, like slightly opaqued plastic wrap. The intricate lines that ran across the flap of skin were beautiful to behold and reminiscent of a fingerprint crossed with the veins of a leaf, giving the skin a manufactured and artistic look nothing akin to its natural origin. What was impressive still was the completely brand new skin that had formed to replace the old skin, serving as a reminder that the body is constantly changing, even if the naked eye doesn't always perceive the alterations and even if we feel that we're still "the same person." Funny how gross little tangents can remind us of bigger and lofty principles. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment