Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Pen is Mightier


Sometimes it's much more satisfying to write with pen and paper than on the computer. I often feel more connected to what I'm writing and the physical manifestation of the words when I'm scribbling on a pad of paper. It's fulfilling to see the transformation that takes place--concepts and words in the mind's eye that travel across synapses in the brain, down the arm to the hand, transferred to the pen clutched between the fingers, and finally onto the blank page, with signature twists, curls, and shapes that only handwritten words manifest. Writing on a computer is undoubtedly faster and more time-efficient, and I always recognize the words on the screen as my own, but there's no denying the sense of gratification that comes from seeing one's own inimitable words on paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment