Monday, June 14, 2010

Summer Nostalgia


As summer swiftly approaches, I'm constantly reminded of one of my fondest memories: curling up in a chair, the hum of the air conditioning unit a constant companion, and doing summer reading. Summer reading to me is not exactly reminiscent of the required school reading for the hottest months of the year, although I suppose that is a portion of what many consider "summer reading." When I think of summer reading, I think of trips to the library with my mom, picking out a stack of books to take home (usually of the fantasy, scifi, and general fiction genres), and devouring them with a voracious literary appetite.

As an adult, it seems like at every turn there's something that needs tending to (and I say this as an adult without kids yet): an appointment to go to, a chore to be finished, a movie to be watched, a walk to be taken, and so on and so forth. Long gone are the days of leisurely trips to the library and weeks on end spent as a bookworm and (occasional TV-head). Perhaps that will be my new goal for June, July and August: grab hold of the summer reading nostalgia and transform it into a literary extravaganza!

No comments:

Post a Comment