Monday, June 21, 2010

Family Feud


An ongoing, albeit friendly disagreement that has gone on for some years within my immediate family: is cursing ever appropriate, and if so, when? If my mom had her druthers, nary a tainted word would escape from my mouth. My dad, on the other hand, would not be able to hold me to such strict standards without running the risk of being labeled a hypocrite. He's certainly no sailor, but he enjoys a bit of colorful language now and then.

Having been drawn to the art of foul language from a young age, which probably began with looking up the definitions of various genitalia once I had wrapped my young supple mind around magic spelling, I have to figure that fundamental personality plays a huge role in one's tendencies to curse or abstain from the more vulgar entries that roam the OED. Cursing, as long as it's not gratuitous, can be quite humorous. Tip the scale too far, though, and you lose all artistic credibility. There's nothing wrong with not cursing, I suppose, although I've never understood what the fun is in that.

When it comes down to it, cursing is almost like an art (I said an art, not a fine art, and I also said "almost"). The speaker must choose appropriate environments and audiences for their selected vulgarities. One must also maintain an appropriate frequency--curse too much and you're seen as a potty-mouthed, uneducated tool. Curse too little, and, well...let's face it, nothing will really happen, but you won't feel the pleasure of that little added shock value that comes with a well placed obscenity.

Maybe some people also get a charge out of perceived "naughty" behavior, without going too far. Sure, you're not an anarchist or sticking it to The Man, but all of those filth-mouths out there are challenging convention a little bit by giving life to the ancient and forbidden letter combinations. However, it's important to use cursing constructively: insulting people or using profanity to enhance aggressive behavior is in no way to be condoned. As long as it's all in good fun, what's the big f***ing deal?

No comments:

Post a Comment