Monday, April 19, 2010

"Up" Up and Away



We saw the movie "Up" today and speaking for myself, I adored it. Although upbeat in general, it definitely had poignant moments and good messages overall. It had me cracking up with its quirky jokes and one-liners, and I thought the graphics were also very well done. I have to admit that the more I watch Pixar movies, the more I feel like they're the wave of the future and that Disney cartoons have been straggling behind for some time now. I also find the story lines of Pixar movies quite creative, with characters that you really connect with, even if they do happen to be toys, fish, superheroes, a golden retriever, a strange bird, or a crotchety old man. It makes you realize that there are interesting adventures or stories occurring everywhere, and they don't just involve people.

My favorite character in "Up" was hands down Dug the golden retriever. I loved how he and the other dogs talked in awkward English phrases through their translator collars. I liked the little boy Russell's upbeat attitude and loyalty. I enjoyed the old man Carl's crankiness (maybe because sometimes I saw myself in him) and his good heart that always came through in the end. And although you might not believe it, I even secretly got a big kick out of the Doberman and his sometimes awkward helium voice and other times intimidating baritone intonation (I'm a sucker for deep--often menacing--voices in movies, like the voice of the Cave of Wonders in Disney's Aladdin: I even made Alejandro rewind that part of the movie once so I could listen to the cave's booming voice over again!).

After watching "Up", I felt satisfied because I had seen a high quality movie, something that seems to happen less and less frequently these days. Something tells me that any day now I'll be running out to the animal shelter to search for a golden retriever to bring home with me--or maybe even a Doberman...

No comments:

Post a Comment