Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Twice the Work and Half the Fun



Today I couldn't help thinking how sometimes technology complicates things way more than it simplifies them. Between converting Word documents to PDF files, checking if all the hyperlinks work in each document type, realizing they don't all function properly, discovering that they work on my colleague's computer but not on mine, trying to edit said document and finding that the same options don't even appear on my Adobe Acrobat toolbar because I wasn't the document's original creator (who must have been either my colleague or Satan), trying to delete images from the pre-formatted PDF document without the page numbers and footers disappearing--well, by golly there must be an easier way to do the simple task of making sure all the hyperlinks work in a document. It's no surprise that a handful of hours got sucked into doing a measly assignment that should really only take 30-60 minutes max.

Unfortunately I can't blame all of this on my computer. After all, I can be admittedly inept at times and not realize there's a handy shortcut until after the fact. But still, links that work on one computer but not another? That's just spooky--or at least a pain in the ass. There are days that I jump for joy for having a computer to do all my dirty work, and then there are days where I curse this hunk of metal, silicone and plastic for making my job twice as hard as it needs to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment